Our Church has had an EcoOfficer since 2004.
Our mission statement is Loving God, Loving People, Loving the World.
We count unborn generations as “People” too, whom we want to love; this involves doing what we can to make sure that they inherit a viable planet.
- We are changing from gas-fired heating to Far Infra-Red heating using renewable electricity from Ecotricity to reduce our carbon footprint. The new system heats the fabric of the building, not the air, and feels much more pleasant.
- We have changed all lighting to LED, increasing illumination levels and reducing costs.
- We have insulated all available floors.
- We have installed 4KW solar PV cells and ring-fenced all savings to pay for future energy-saving measures.
- We have triple-glazed most of the old Church windows.
- Our kitchen recycles all cans, bottles and cardboard.
- Our church garden, containing many rare varieties of fruit trees; volunteers compost waste and create habitats for hedgehogs and nesting birds.
- We have recently hosted sheep and chickens in the 10 o’clock service to emphasise in our suburban environment our dependence on nature.
- By filling our buildings every day with activity, we not only run the building economically and strengthen our community, but we salute those who sacrificed to build our premises over the years.